[Oisf-users] XFF and alternate HTTP IP header with a proxy

Michael Riggs msnriggs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 13:37:48 UTC 2018

Morning Suricata peeps,

We're having an issue where we cant get our proxy to give us X-Forwarded
for, but it'll give Client-ip. It looks like I can mod the Header:
X-Forwarded-For field to Header: Client-ip and all should work well, but
it's not. First - Am I making a bad assumption that this is supported?
Second - help! :-)  See examples below -

Mike

*tcpdump of relevant part of HTTP packet*
*Client-ip: 10.25.8.9.*
Via: 1.1 localhost.localdomain .
Host: dt.adsafeprotected.com.

*We've modified the suricata.yaml as follows*
            xff:
              enabled: yes
              # Two operation modes are available, "extra-data" and
"overwrite".
              mode: overwrite
              # Two proxy deployments are supported, "reverse" and
"forward". In
              # a "reverse" deployment the IP address used is the last one,
in a
              # "forward" deployment the first IP address is used.
              deployment: forward
              # Header name where the actual IP address will be reported,
if more
              # than one IP address is present, the last IP address will be
the
              # one taken into consideration.
              header: Client-ip