[Oisf-users] suricata-update: missing module(s)

Jason Ish jason.ish at oisf.net
Fri Nov 9 01:03:22 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-08 3:19 p.m., James Moe wrote:

> suricata 4.1.0
> linux 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default x86_64
>
>   suricata 4.1.0 was compiled from distribution.
>
> $ suricata-update --suricata /usr/local/etc/suricata --suricata-conf
> /usr/local/etc/suricata
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/suricata-update", line 25, in <module>
>     from suricata.update import main
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'suricata'
>
>   Where do I find the module "suricata"?

Can you first verify your usage of the command line arguments?

--suricata should point to your install suricata binary.

--suricata-conf should point to your suricata.yaml file.

If it was installed as part of your Suricata, the default in 4.1, it
should automatically pick that info up.

I see that suricata-update is in /usr/bin, but your suricata is in
/usr/local. Could you may have an old suricata-update install? If you
did install suricata in /usr/local, try:

/usr/local/bin/suricata-update

Failing that, please provide your Linux distribution and version, as
well as your ./configure line for Suricata, and how you install
suricata-update if done separately.

Thanks,
Jason