[Oisf-users] Reg: [oisf-users] Can i use a bridge and ethernet interface as two different interfaces in af-packet IPS?

Cloherty, Sean E scloherty at mitre.org
Wed Nov 14 14:47:17 UTC 2018

I’m working through some similar issues  questions as well.  On my test network I want the traffic flow like this:

Internet router -> TAP -> Suricata eth0 -> Suricata eth1 -> QRadar monitor port.

I only want the traffic to flow in that one direction.  Do I need to include an af-packet entry for both eth0 and eth1 and have each point to the other as a copy interface or will all the traffic egress from eth1 without that if I use the single af-packet entry Victor has below?

In that scenario – do I want it to run in IPS or tap mode?  I’d like to avoid the need to configure NFQueue or IPTABLES.  Some posts I’ve read including the Eric’s which is frequently referenced seem to indicate that tap mode will setup a transparent bridge between the two interfaces and no kernel level bridge nor iptables changes were needed.

Last question - do you need to specifically add ‘tpacket-v3: no’ if using mmap or run into latency issues noted in the Suricata.yaml?

Thanks,

Sean