[Oisf-users] Suricata Multiple Interfaces

Kevin Branch kevin at branchnetconsulting.com
Tue Nov 20 22:30:54 UTC 2018

I've used Suricata on 5 interfaces at once with good results, actually a
separate instance per interface and multiple threads per instance, but all
on the same physical box.  I don't think the main limit is interface count
but raw traffic volume to be processed.  If you have
enough memory and cores to spread around, and your rule set is trimmed down
well and your BPF filters are tuning out waste noise, you can do quite a
bit of Suricata monitoring on a single box.  Keep an eye on packet loss at
the kernel and PF_RING levels, as well as CPU and memory utilization levels.

Kevin