[Oisf-users] Suricata Multiple Interfaces

Leonard Jacobs ljacobs at netsecuris.com
Tue Nov 20 23:00:47 UTC 2018

We use four 1Gbps interfaces in af_packet mode (2 pairs) all the time with one instance of Suricata and everything works fine.  The appliances we use has a single i7 processor and 8 gb of memory.  The appliances we purchase have 6 interfaces but we have not tried 3 pairs because we reserve the 6th port for management/log collection.

We have been using af_packet mode from day one of using Suricata.  (From what I remember, 3 to 4 years maybe 5.  Basically, since af_packet has been available.)  We have always used Ubuntu server.

These interfaces have bypass built in for power failure and with extra software installed can bypass for o/s failure.

Like I said before, have never had any problems except in the earlier days for us and used Atom processors.  They worked great except when bandwidth increased.  That is when we went to i7's.

And we have not tried 4.1 yet.  Hopefully soon in test mode.

Leonard Jacobs