[Oisf-users] meta-data crashes

Jeremy A. Grove jgrove at quadrantsec.com
Thu Nov 29 16:52:44 UTC 2018

Hello All,

We use Suricata in a variety of situations with varying amounts of data input. The version that is currently being used is Suricata version 4.1.0-beta1 and we have upgraded a portion to Suricata version 4.1.0. In both versions I am running into an issue with the meta data where it will stop logging entirely or it will only log some of the protocols. This is while Suricata is still running.

An idea of the configuration:

- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/dns.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- dns:
version: 2
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/tls.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- tls:
extended: yes # enable this for extended logging information
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/files.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- files:
force-magic: no # force logging magic on all logged files
force-hash: [md5] # force logging of md5 checksums
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/http.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- http:
extended: yes # enable this for extended logging information
# custom allows additional http fields to be included in eve-log
# the example below adds three additional fields when uncommented
custom: [accept, accept-charset, accept-encoding, accept-language,
accept-datetime, authorization, cache-control, cookie, from,
max-forwards, origin, pragma, proxy-authorization, range, te, via,
x-requested-with, dnt, x-forwarded-proto, accept-range, age,
allow, connection, content-encoding, content-language,
content-length, content-location, content-md5, content-range,
content-type, date, etags, last-modified, link, location,
proxy-authenticate, referrer, refresh, retry-after, server,
set-cookie, trailer, transfer-encoding, upgrade, vary, warning,
www-authenticate, x-flash-version, x-authenticated-user]
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/ssh.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- ssh
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/smtp.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- smtp:
extended: yes # enable this for extended logging information
custom: [received, x-mailer, x-originating-ip, relays, reply-to, bcc]
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/flow.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- flow
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/nfs.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- nfs
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/smb.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- smb
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/tftp.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- tftp
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/ikev2.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- ikev2
- eve-log:
enabled: yes
filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
filename: /var/log/suricata/flows/current/dhcp.json
pcap-file: false
types:
- dhcp

I am happy to provide more detail to anyone willing to give an opinion on how this may be addressed but I am not sure exactly what is useful to know.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? This is a critical piece for us and I will need to switch back to Bro/Zeek until I can get this resolved.

Regards,

Jeremy Grove, SSCP
Security Engineer
Quadrant Information Security