[Oisf-users] Discrepancies in Snort and Suricata alerts

fatema bannatwala fatema.bannatwala at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:27:41 UTC 2018

Yet another example where no alerts fired in Suricata but in Snort for
legit bad traffic for "Andromeda" Trojan.

Both the suri and snort signatures for sid:2809682 are same, and yet only
snort triggered the alert for an outbound POST request to a domain related
to Andromeda Trojan.
Bro detected those connections as http, hence the application should be
recognized by Suricata as http.

Bro http log for the connection that triggered snort alert:
10/2/18 7:06:46.734 PM  CGOaPc2Kyn0xd3eGkd 128.x.x.x   58299
 184.105.192.2   80   1   POST atomictrivia.ru /atomic.php - 1.1
Mozilla/4.0 64 0 200 OK - - (empty) - - - FUR4T54aQNbHsxbG84

Snort alert for the same:
Oct 2 19:06:47 snort[3664]: [1:2809682:3] ETPRO TROJAN Andromeda/Gamarue
Checkin [Classification: A Network Trojan was Detected] [Priority: 1]:
{TCP} 128.x.x.x:58299 -> 184.105.192.2:80

No Suricata alerts fired for the same.

The notification of this activity was sent by a third party to us today,
hence we are sure that the host is compromised as it was trying to resolve
Andromeda domains.

I can't capture the pcap for the traffic that triggers snort alerts but not
Suri, as it is sporadic, and only couple of minutes of traffic capture
results in gigs of traffic, hence I can't just keep running pcap capture
for a long period of time on the sensors.
If I can't figure out what is going on with Suri not firing the alerts,
then we just might have to drop Suricata deployment in prod and keep
working with Snort.

Any pointers/suggestions?

Thanks,
Fatema.
Event Actions
<https://setter.nss.udel.edu:8443/en-US/app/search/search?q=search%20index%3Dmalware%20128.4.73.143&sid=1538571855.42311&display.page.search.mode=smart&dispatch.sample_ratio=1&earliest=-24h%40h&latest=now#>