[Oisf-users] Inconsistent packet dropped behaviour with the same config on several nodes

Magmi A magmi.sec at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 08:57:03 UTC 2018

> > * Node1 receives ~ 500Mbps of traffic (it's 1Gbps interface), and gets
> in average 1-2% kernel packet dropped
> > while
> > * Node2 receives ~ 500kbps of traffic and gets in average 10% kernel
> packet dropped
>
> What is different between node 1 and node 2 ? (same config/same
> suricata/same HW/same rules...?)]

The nodes have the same HW, run the same config/ suricata version, have the
same set of rules.

The only difference is that they are exposed to different sources of
traffic.
>From Wireshark analysis the protocol hierarchies for both cases seem
similar - there is no spectacular difference.

So really the only difference is the captured traffic itself (MACs, IPs,
partly protocols, data etc).

That is why we have such a problem how to approach the problem and
troubleshoot it.

Best,
magmi