[Oisf-users] Installing the latest Suricata on a Pi

Sascha Steinbiss satta at debian.org
Tue Aug 20 10:06:22 UTC 2019

Hi all,

> Hi everyone - I've looked around online for an answer to this but didn't
> find anything - I'm trying to installĀ *4.1.4 on a Pi but using
> sudo-apt-get install only installsĀ *3.2.1.

If you're on Raspbian stretch, you could also add

  deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib

to your /etc/apt/sources.list and then get the Debian version of
Suricata 4.1.2 (the latest version officially packaged for anything
stretch) from the stretch-backports distribution:

  $ sudo apt update
  [...]
  $ sudo apt install -t stretch-backports suricata

That's what I did and what worked well for me on my Raspi-based home
mini system.

(Please note that the resulting system will technically not be a
Raspbian any more, but a mixture of Raspbian and newer Debian packages.
See [1] for more info. However, I never encountered any problems with
this setup.)

Cheers
Sascha

[1]