[Oisf-users] Hardware specs for monitoring 100GB

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 08:12:17 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 7:18 PM Nelson, Cooper <cnelson at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Indeed, we are running into associated IO and licensing bottlenecks with
> the torrent of metadata that is produced.  I had to write an asynchronous
> spooler to copy stored files from a tmpfs partition to long-term storage,
> for example.  Our JSON logging is to a tmpfs partition as well.

I think there are a couple of bottle neck spots that can be hit in such
intense traffic volumes- disk speed, write locks, logoutput in general, bus
speed in some cases too, NUMA cross talks.
In general limiting what you need to look at is always a good step - ex
flush out streaming/video traffic etc. Perf top is your friend :) , "run on
empty" see what the performance is without loading any rules that would
pinpoint any non inspection related bottlenecks too.

I am trying to find a measurable,consistent, repetitive way of easy
figuring out if the system bus becomes a bottle neck and when on huge
speeds. Any suggestions or pointers are welcome :)

> -Coop

Peter Manev