[Oisf-users] Why nobody here for help?

Nelson, Cooper cnelson at ucsd.edu
Tue Feb 12 22:03:16 UTC 2019

Hi Jason,

The $HOME_NET variable should be set to your home network CIDR block, most likely 192.168.0.0/24 as mentioned.  The external net is simply everything *not* this, implied by the ! negation operator.

Re: your problem with the rules files being missing, did you at least install the EmergingThreats OPEN ruleset from https://rules.emergingthreats.net/open/suricata-4.0/emerging.rules.tar.gz ?

If you are just getting started with suricata, in general I will advise to use one of the many packaged distros available that ship with it already installed and preconfigured.

If you are interested in installing it on existing system from scratch, instructions are here:

https://suricata.readthedocs.io/en/suricata-4.1.2/install.html

Here is the relevant section on rule management.

https://suricata.readthedocs.io/en/suricata-4.1.2/rule-management/index.html

Feel free to reach out to me directly to get you at least up and running or need some pointers for packaged distros.

-Coop