[Oisf-users] Properly testing Suricata for alerts

Bjørn Ruberg bjorn at ruberg.no
Wed Feb 13 06:37:41 UTC 2019

On 13.02.2019 06:00, 419telegraph298 at protonmail.com wrote:
> according to my suricata.yaml, tor rules are active :
>
> # - emerging-web_specific_apps.rules
>  - emerging-worm.rules
>  - tor.rules

This tells you that Suricata loads the rules *file*. It does not say
anything about which rule(s) in a file that are active.

As a side note, I thought you had switched to suricata-update, which
AFAIK concatenates all single rule files into one comon file?

> and the alerts should be turned on :
>
> # Configure the type of alert (and other) logging you would like.
> outputs:
>   # a line based alerts log similar to Snort's fast.log
>   - fast:
>       enabled: yes
>       filename: fast.log
>       append: yes
>       #filetype: regular # 'regular', 'unix_stream' or 'unix_dgram'

Check eve.json as well, to be sure.

Then the next thing to check is the other condition I mentioned: whether
the rule is correctly configured to register the traffic, paying
particular attention to the HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET configuration of
your Suricata. When attempting to trigger alerts, verify the source and
destination addresses with tcpdump or similar.

--
Bjørn