[Oisf-users] [EXT] Re: Packet loss and increased resource consumption after upgrade to 4.1.2 with Rust support

Nelson, Cooper cnelson at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 22 19:01:43 UTC 2019

What I ended up doing was just putting some windows on my desktop showing htop (all the threads would get pegged) and the packet drops from stats.log , since this was happening several times a day for extended periods.

I then wrote a script to just grab a million packets off the wire and show the top talkers.  Found it pretty easily.

$ cat bin/top_flows.sh
#!/bin/bash

sudo tcpdump -tnn -c 100000 -i any 2>/dev/null | awk '{print $2,$3,$4,$5}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head

You could automate something like to watch for packet drops in stats.log and then run the above script (I would recommend several times).

I think I've suggested in the past if suri could dump the ring buffer to a file when the 'emergency flush' condition is triggered you could just run the above script on the resulting pcap to find what caused it.

-Coop