[Oisf-users] Eve logs missing payload and payload_printable for http proto alerts

Eric Urban eurban at umn.edu
Thu Jan 17 17:14:35 UTC 2019

Hello Peter,

Since the time when I sent that message, we have performed two separate
upgrades.  First to 4.0.6 then to 4.1.2.  I looked back at our log data and
the day when we upgraded to 4.0.6 the cases of alerts for that signature
with no payload went from over 50% down to around 1% or less depending on
the day.  We had roughly 30K alerts for this particular rule over a month
and having around 1% of these cases isn't enough that we notice it anymore.

I looked at the 4.0.6 release notes and saw support issue #2512, which
dealt with truncation in some http_method/user_agent fields, so doesn't
seem to exactly describe this issue but possibly was the same cause?  I
also saw libhtp was upgraded so maybe one of those two changes fixed it.

Thank you for getting back to me and in the unlikely case we should see
this resurface I will try to get a capture.

--
Eric Urban
University Information Security | Office of Information Technology |
eurban at umn.edu