[Oisf-users] Suricata fails to start (Suricata 4.1.4)

Shivani Bhardwaj shivanib134 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 05:20:38 UTC 2019

Hi David!

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 10:55 PM David Decker <x.faith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shivani
>
> This what we are trying:
> suricata  -c suricata.yaml --PCAP=default

--pcap requires the interface on which you want to enable libpcap
capture support. From what I understand, "default" is not something
recognized as a valid interface. You should probably check your
interface name where you want to enable the pcap mode and provide that
in place of "default". Example, my wifi interface is named "wlp2s0" so
if I write "suricata --pcap=wlp2s0", it would make a valid command and
would run suricata in pcap mode on wlp2s0 interface.

If you want this interface for pcap to persist, you could even write
this in your suricata.yaml here:
https://github.com/OISF/suricata/blob/master/suricata.yaml.in#L703 and
then fire the command "suricata --pcap", it will pick up the interface
from the configuration file and run perfectly fine.

Let me know if the issue still persists.

>>> https://about.me/shivani.bhardwaj