[Oisf-users] Suricata IPS AF_packet mode

Eric Leblond eric at regit.org
Sat Mar 9 19:38:41 UTC 2019

Bonjour,

On Sat, 2019-03-09 at 13:46 -0500, Albert E. Whale, CEH CHS CISA CISSP
wrote:
> Thank you for the response Eric.  two additional questions for
> clarity.
>
> 1. If I am not using br0, should I still create it?

Excuse my French but this sentence from the documentation you did give
url from appears clear to me:
'AF_PACKET establishes a software bridge between two interfaces by
copying packet from one interface to another (and reverse).'

It is a software bridge down by Suricata so you don't need a bridge at
kernel level.

> 2. If I am using the two interfaces of the bridge, do I need to run
> deamon from enp1s0 -> enp4s0 and also from enp4s0 -> enp1s0?

If you sniff in the 2 interfaces in the Suricata instance and peer them
then you will have copy from one iface to the other one.

> I am hearing that AF_Packet is faster than NFQueue, there just
> doesn't
> seem to be sufficient documentation to clear my questions.

On this side, once your setup is working. Feel free to propose some
explanation in the official documentation. The userguide is really
simple to enhance as you just need to write some restructured text and
do a Pull request on github.

BR,