[Oisf-users] OPNids - Any thoughts?

Nelson, Cooper cnelson at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 26 19:23:49 UTC 2019

I’ve been doing NIDS deployments (bro/snort) for about fifteen years and HPC suricata deployments of the last five.  I also studied expert systems and machine learning in an academic environment about 25 years ago, so I’m familiar with the basics.

That said, there is a steep learning curve here and I’m not currently sure how we could make use of it in its current format (DVD ISO builds).  This would be fine for a small network or ‘greenfield’ deployment I think.

I would personally recommend starting with something like Security Onion and learning the basics of suricata (and getting familiar with it), before trying this distro.  I know it took me at least a year to get comfortable with suricata and I’m still learning stuff on a daily/weekly basis.

If someone could put together a docker build that could integrate with our existing suricata sensor I would be happy to try it out.

-Coop