[Oisf-users] Suricata YAML / JSON - Splunk

David Decker x.faith at gmail.com
Tue May 7 02:53:02 UTC 2019

I am using Security Onion, but wanted to switch the output to JSON
(eve.json) which is being created, but the alerts are not being populated.
I believe that they are still being populated for the Barnyard files (per
SO).   I know I had them both working for a few minutes but currently not
getting any thing.   here is the part from my suricata.yaml

# Extensible Event Format (nicknamed EVE) event log in JSON format
  - eve-log:
      enabled: yes
      filetype: regular #regular|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream|redis
      filename: suricata.json
      #prefix: "@cee: " # prefix to prepend to each log entry
      # the following are valid when type: syslog above
      #identity: "suricata"
      #facility: local5
      #level: Info ## possible levels: Emergency, Alert, Critical,
                   ## Error, Warning, Notice, Info, Debug
      #redis:
      #  server: 127.0.0.1
      #  port: 6379
      #  async: true ## if redis replies are read asynchronously
      #  mode: list ## possible values: list|lpush (default), rpush,
channel|publish
      #             ## lpush and rpush are using a Redis list. "list" is an
alias for lpush
      #             ## publish is using a Redis channel. "channel" is an
alias for publish
      #  key: suricata ## key or channel to use (default to suricata)
      # Redis pipelining set up. This will enable to only do a query every
      # 'batch-size' events. This should lower the latency induced by
network
      # connection at the cost of some memory. There is no flushing
implemented
      # so this setting as to be reserved to high traffic suricata.
      #  pipelining:
      #    enabled: yes ## set enable to yes to enable query pipelining
      #    batch-size: 10 ## number of entry to keep in buffer

      # Include top level metadata. Default yes.
      metadata: yes

      # include the name of the input pcap file in pcap file processing mode
      pcap-file: false