[Oisf-users] Suricata Bytes count

Jeremy A. Grove jgrove at quadrantsec.com
Wed Oct 9 15:16:29 UTC 2019

Hello World,

I have a need to report on the amount of bytes that Suricata has processed. When looking at the stats output, the only mention of bytes that I see is under 'decoder'. I also notice that the number of recorded Kernel packets and the number of decoder packets is different. A few questions come from this.

Is it safe to assume that I do not have a total byte count for all traffic as the bytes seem to only be what has been processed by a decoder?

Is there a way for me to find the total byte count?

What explains the difference between the packets in kernel vs the packets in decoder?

Was there a reason for the exclusion of the byte count in total?

I have given example numbers below.

"capture":{"kernel_packets":1698660511
"decoder":{"pkts":1350997867,"bytes":1399677688201,

Regards,

Jeremy Grove, SSCP
Security Engineer
Quadrant Information Security