[Oisf-users] Suricata causes massive packet loss

Nelson, Cooper cnelson at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 3 17:12:38 UTC 2019

Hi Peter,

It's been a few years since I've done an inline deployment, so I'll see what I can do.  I can say I did get it working 100% in a proxy configuration (listening on the inside interface of a squid proxy).

First of all, as a sanity check I'll suggest setting up an "R&D" box running the latest build from git and latest stable linux kernel.  There may be a kernel/driver/library/suricata bug that has since been addressed.  If that turns out to be the case, suricata 5.0 is in beta so the stable release should not be that far away.

Assuming you started here ...

https://suricata.readthedocs.io/en/latest/setting-up-ipsinline-for-linux.html?highlight=inline

... make sure you are using the 'autofp' runmode.   If you are using AF_PACKET with tpacket-v3 set the block size/timeout to a low value and start with a single worker thread for testing.  Also, try using libpcap instead of AF_PACKET, I'm pretty sure that's what I ended up using and the performance was fine for a 1gbit deployment.

-Coop