[Oisf-users] Testing report regarding image: next-suricata-rust/7808a8a2-dirty

peter.mueller at ipfire.org peter.mueller at ipfire.org
Sun Sep 8 10:55:00 UTC 2019

Hello Stefan, hello Peter, hello *,

@Stefan: Thank you again for building the ISO with Suricata 5.0.0-beta1,
Rust and current libhtp.

@Peter: Sorry for having not answered your question: The problem is not
only related to DNS traffic, but to new connections in general (no matter
if they are encrypted or plain text) - see below for details.

Initially, Suricata refuses to start:
> Sep  8 11:59:43 maverick suricata: [ERRCODE: SC_WARN_NO_STATS_LOGGERS(261)] - stats are enabled but no loggers are active
> Sep  8 11:59:43 maverick suricata: [ERRCODE: SC_ERR_NFQ_OPEN(68)] - no queue for given index
> Sep  8 11:59:43 maverick suricata: [ERRCODE: SC_ERR_NFQ_THREAD_INIT(78)] - nfq thread failed to initialize

Although statistics are disabled in /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml , enabling
the statistics logger was necessary. Perhaps a glitch in the beta version,
as the statistics log file is empty.

Instead of passing the NFQ indices one by one ("-q 0 -q 1 -q 2 -q 3"),
Suricata now likes them as a range: "-q 0:3" After changing this in the
initscript and deleting orphaned PID file, Suricata starts correctly.

Initialisation procedure takes 87 seconds on my testing hardware, which
is approximately two times faster compared to Suricata 4.x. Rule parsing
works, all tested attacks were successfully detected.

Resource consumption of Suricata 5.x is a bit lower compared to 4.x .

Unfortunately, both of my problems can be reproduced with that image:
(a) Poor OpenVPN throughput.
    This has improved a bit to 1.2 MB/sec peak, but still is lower than
    the 2.1 MB/sec I observe on another productive machine.
(b) Establishing connections and DNS resolutions takes age
    Regardless of SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, SMTPS or IMAPS, establishing a new
    connection takes 1-2 seconds due to massive packet loss. Resolving
    DNS records using "dig" or "host" is fast, but using "wget" or "curl"
    is slow.

Increasing memory allocations or "max-pending-packets" did not help again.
That being said, I think we can be more generous regarding our memory
allocations, as most RAM of my testing hardware stayed unallocated. :-)

As Eric Leblond already mentioned on the OISF mailing list, the actual
problem seems to be something else (netfilter/iptables/?).

Version commands for reference:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller