[Oisf-users] Suricata doesn't alert

Dave Killion dave.killion at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 06:11:42 UTC 2019

Frank,

The switch is doing what switches do - it has learned which interface the
different computers are connected to and sends the ICMP packet for C only
to the port C is connected to, and doesn't send a packet to the port B is
connected to - in a normal switched environment, B will only get packets
destined to B at the Layer 2 level.

In order for B to monitor all packets on the LAN, you need to configure B's
switch port for "monitor mode" or "span port mode" - this usually requires
a more expensive switch that can be managed remotely, and not a simple
switch that has no management UI.

Another idea, more affordable, but also more crude, is to use a hub/bridge
instead of a switch - this way, everyone gets a copy of everyone's packet.
This will reduce the effective bandwidth on your LAN, but if most devices
are going to/from the Internet, you won't notice it overmuch.  Bridges are
more hard to find these days, especially at higher speeds.

--
Dave Killion