[Oisf-users] Analysis of SSL-decrpyted traffic

Federico Foschini undicizeri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 10:30:41 UTC 2020

Hello Nelson thank you for your insights.

The inbound case obviously is the more interesting one since you can
inspect all inbound attacks hitting your servers.
Unfortunately it seems the way to go for all firewall vendors is to sell
the client SSL inspection as the holy grail to solve all security problems.
I agree with you that is not so useful but some of our clients have it
enabled so analyzing the traffic on suricata would be useful to me.

Also I read that ET is planning to release some signature specifically for
TLS-inspected traffic.

However I did some testing and it looks like that if I’m only sniffing from
the firewall interface everything is working fine. The issue starts when
I’m sniffing both from the mirror port on the switch and on the firewall
with this configuration:

af-packet:
  - interface: enp4s0
    threads: 2
    cluster-id: 1
    cluster-type: cluster_flow
    defrag: yes # To use the ring feature of AF_PACKET, set 'use-mmap' to yes
    use-mmap: yes
    tpacket-v3: yes
  - interface: enp3s0
    threads: 2
    cluster-id: 2
    cluster-type: cluster_flow
    defrag: yes # To use the ring feature of AF_PACKET, set 'use-mmap' to yes
    use-mmap: yes
    tpacket-v3: yes

enp4s0 is the firewall mirror port and enp3s0 is the switch.

All traffic mirrored from the switch is processed while the one from the
firewall is not. When doing an SSL connection in Zeek I can see the SSL
encrypted flow mirrored from the switch and also the HTTP decrypted traffic
from the firewall. In suricata I see only the SSL encrypted traffic.

--
Federico Foschini.