[Oisf-users] Suricata only alerts for the first few rules of rule file

Lucas Augusto Mota de Alcantara lama2 at cin.ufpe.br
Thu Jan 9 07:33:15 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

I'm testing some rules and I want to count how many times each rule matches
for a certain pcap file, but I noticed that suricata is alerting for only
the first few rules of the rule file.

For example, in the attached files I have a .rules file with thousands of
rules and a .pcap file with 4 packets. Most rules in that file should alert
all 4 times, and some should still alert at least 1 time.

The  problem is that when I check the fast.log for the alerts, only 60
alerts are being logged (the first 15 rules that alert once for each
packet). Is there a reason why suricata is only logging those first few
alerts? And is there a way to make sure suricata alerts every time it
should alert?