[Oisf-users] Rule Sets used?

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 27 20:08:57 UTC 2020

The ETPRO rules should be considered a 'meta' ruleset, as they combine
feeds from multiple sources, community rules and 'premium' rules from
Proofpoint.  A good datapoint to consider is that we (UCSD) are a
'messy' network and running the full 49k+ feed against all hosts results
in about 8-9k rules triggering per 30-day window, which shows how mature
their threat intel. process it.  When we miss something its usually a
'zero day' malware variant (no hits on VirusTotal), which is a hard problem.

What I've been looking at recently is integrating suricata's file
extraction capabilities with yara and it's rules:

https://github.com/Yara-Rules/rules

-Coop

On 1/27/2020 9:34 AM, David Decker wrote:
> What are the general rules most folks use for Suricata?
>
> I know ET rules are popular, but do folks use the Snort
> Subscriber/Community ect?
>
> Also any other ones (besides customs) that might be good to look at?
>
> Thanks

> Conference: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://suricon.net__;!!Mih3wA!TwNyQ1YrxCZ8nDX3bsZPuA301Id6qlUC89Da28iC0XlDUBAxbBzO4qyeyBEUfo8$
> Trainings: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://suricata-ids.org/training/__;!!Mih3wA!TwNyQ1YrxCZ8nDX3bsZPuA301Id6qlUC89Da28iC0XlDUBAxbBzO4qye5uV1ym0$

Network Security Analyst