[Oisf-devel] Relevant paper for CUDA implementation

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:13:31 UTC 2010

Many (all?) of you may have seen this, but I thought I would point out a
paper on implementing fast pattern matching for Snort using CUDA called
Gnort that came out over a year ago:
http://www.ics.forth.gr/dcs/Activities/papers/gnort.raid08.pdf .  I tried to
get the source code from one of the authors last year, but the main author
was away in the military at the time and so the author I was communicating
with couldn't send me the source code for the project.  However, the paper
may lend a hand in designing the architecture for getting real performance
out of the current Suricata CUDA code, as Gnort claimed exponential
performance increases.  Also, Google points out many other articles that
cite that paper, including ones from IBM's SCAMPI project which appears to
attempt to do the same thing as Gnort.  It may be too high-level to be
helpful in tweaking the Suricata implementation, but I thought I could at
least make sure everyone was aware of some the current work on the subject.
Also, I notice that GPU's like the GeForce GTX 295 come with 480 stream
processors for around $550, so it probably wouldn't be bad to assume there
could be over 1024 stream processors available to the CUDA API, in case that
makes a difference.

Thanks,

Martin