[Oisf-wg-ruleslanguage] YAML

Bill Scherr IV bschnzl at cotse.net
Fri Aug 7 15:03:52 UTC 2009

Matt (et al)...

   The rules are constructed as they are to provide granularity to the rule set.  The default rule set is just
that, default.  Any security practitioner should be aware of the state of the default, and reasons that
things SHOULD be delivered wide open.

   Perhaps a bit on default would be useful here.  For one, bare install media that works on any platform
is easier to check for back doors.  Calls Home (like 'Doze Genuine Advantage, and autoupdate a la
YUM, etc.) carry information that I need to contain, and now its out of my control.  It doesn't matter how
much I trust whom, my control is compromised on these platforms.

   The operative concept here is ownership.  The producers own the code I use.  I just license the use for
my own purposes.  That is fine.  But my production is mine, and NO VENDOR should have access to
anything that I do after I leave their place of business with their product that I just paid for, in any fashion.
That is a base principal of private property.  When you do not object to a "EULA" you participate in this
errosion of all of our rights.  The price of liberty is eternal vigilance, etc.  So much for a lesson on default
delivery states...

   The IDS analyst needs to be able to tweak pin holes to eliminate known false positives, known
ineffective events, ligitimate services that may trigger an alert, etc. ad nauseum.  I agree that there may
be opportunities for YAML elsewhere in this application.  My concern is that the current config language
seems optimized for this application.  That application needs more speed and efficiency.  It does not
need to be bogged down by a binary containing rules and code that are never used.  Rather than
imposing a predefined standard, and patching on an entirely new language, how about we just offer
ideas for tweaking to the folks that are hard at work producing the fastest updated, least resource
intensive, and most examinable IDS around.

My 2ยข.

B.

Circa 9:25, 7 Aug 2009, a note, claiming source Matt C <oisf-wg-
ruleslanguage at openinfosecfoundation.org>, was sent to me: