[Oisf-wg-ruleslanguage] Supporting languages / Getting things done..

Scott MacGregor shadowbq at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 15:35:30 UTC 2009

What languages to support as external scripts that can feed
information back to a rule (i.e. a function for a rule to call). Perl,
Ruby, Python? All?

YAML..as markup. (so many bindings)

Scripting languages can be utilized to create the YAML files "on the
fly". (RUBY PERL PYTHON) This is the important thing about the way the
rules are loaded, they need to be able to be loaded via a listening
API services. The API starts, I run script, walla my ruby code loaded
a new rule configuration. This way we can write XML, YAML, ruby,
python, java whatever is in our hearts.. as long as the output of the
scripts creates YAML to be loaded by API.

ON Self Contained Rules:..

Many people feel rule configurations need to be self contained..

This can be solved with reverse distribution scripts.

ON: "seperate the matching and actions pieces"

> This allows users to reuse/inherit matching and lets users build their
> own logic for a sequence of things to do when matches occur.  What do
> you all think?

Good idea

ON : Relational Trees / Stackable Rule files.

Good Idea

Reverse Distribution Example / Fully Expanded Rules.. (For debugging
and redistribution.)

Take an array of signature ids, put it in a text file, and run it
through a (ruby) script that loads all the YAML rules files. It would
output individual distributional rules filling all the variables with
actual values and action modules combined.

Remember :