[Discussion] What are we making? -- CLIENT Side

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Mon Oct 20 17:44:45 UTC 2008

I think it less important (at least at this point) that we identify the
exact format than to decide the kind of data we'll deal in as mentioned
in another post.

How it's stored in the engine in ways that it's quickly usable is a
separate issue. The push mechanism I don't see how we can move that much
data without it being a binary stream. The overhead of xml and others is
way to high for moving thousands of blocks/reputation changes.

But we can easily have that data available to be pushed to outside tools
similar to unified_output into whatever format the end tool requires.

Matt

Jason Lewis wrote:
> I think you have to do both.  XML for data description and
> communications....and the binary for passing the actual data.
>
> Jeremy wrote:
>> I would have to agree with this and would venture to say a custom
>> indexed binary format would be best for this, and not a plain text xml
>> file.  Much like Maxminds GeoIP and ASN database files.
>>
>> --jeremy

>>> Just be aware that there are lots and lots of hostile IP's. I'm not sure
>>> XML is the proper format to deliver those since that data file would
>>> balloon quite drastically :)
>>>
>>> -Frank
>>>

>>> --
>>> It is said that the Internet is a public utility. As such, it is best
>>> compared to a sewer. A big, fat pipe with a bunch of crap sloshing
>>> against your ports.

Matthew Jonkman
Emerging Threats
Phone 765-429-0398