[Discussion] not a db schema

Michael Scheidell scheidell at secnap.net
Wed Oct 29 18:52:34 UTC 2008

look at mynetwatchman.. it was an early attempt do do both.

Andre Ludwig wrote:

> [...]
> current "standard RDBMS".  I would suggest looking at distributed file
> systems and some of the databases that sit on top of them (hypertable,
> hbase, etc come to mind).
>
> Andre Ludwig
>
> Matt Jonkman wrote:
>
>> Agreed. I don't want to get deep into the schema itself. Just want to
>> explore the idea of not being tied to one schema.
>>
>> A question for the sql guru's though: Is there a large enough difference
>> in how you'd structure a scheme for large scale vs small/speedy to
>> justify thinking about this?
>>
>> Matt
>>

>> Martin Holste wrote:
>>

>>> I think that schema discussions are extremely premature since we still
>>> haven't decided what we're even recording.
>>>
>>> --Martin
>>>
>>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Matt Jonkman <jonkman at jonkmans.com
>>> <mailto:jonkman at jonkmans.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     I wonder if we ought to build several db schema's for different goals.
>>>
>>>     I'm not a deep-down sql expert (we'll get one involved when we get
>>>     here), but I suspect if your goal is different a different schema will
>>>     do best.
>>>
>>>     For instance, if you intend to keep every alert ever generated for
>>>     historical comparison you need one schema to keep it snappy. If you
>>>     intend to have a smaller number of alerts but a massive number of
>>>     sensors inserting frequently then you may need a different structure.
>>>
>>>     So perhaps we should build several schemas and let you choose at setup.
>>>     Then the engine just reads the version tag and inserts in that form.
>>>
>>>     Any sql guru's that could speak more to this?
>>>
>>>     Matt
>>>
>>>     James McQuaid wrote:
>>>     > I'm *still* listening... please continue.
>>>     >
>>>     > Message: 3
>>>     > Frank Knobbe wrote:
>>>     >> No, that's a bad idea (at least if you talk about Snort). If you
>>>     create
>>>     >> new/different message texts, Snort will create a new entry in the
>>>     >> signature table (unique to msg+gid+sid+rev). Also, you would not
>>>     get the
>>>     >> same text with barnyard or in barnyard (and probably flop) based
>>>     >> installs since BY only reports the sid (the msg is pulled from the
>>>     >> sid-msg.map file).
>>>     >
>>>     > We are not talking snort. This is totally different.
>>>     >
>>>     > And we'll definitely not use a db schema with this issue.
>>>     >
>>>     > Matt
>>>     >
>>>     >> While you could of course fork barnyard, my concern would be the
>>>     bloat
>>>     >> of the signature table due to unique msg texts.
>>>     >>
>>>     >
>>>     > No forking here, all new.
>>>     >
>>>     > Everything from the pattern matcher on up. :)

Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008
    * Information Security Award 2008, Info Security Products Guide
    * CRN Magazine Top 40 Emerging Security Vendors

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com