[Oisf-announce] We have an Official Name and Mascot for the OISF Engine!

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Fri Dec 18 14:14:36 UTC 2009

A big step in the life of any open source project is the choice of a
mascot and logo. It was a tough one, we had great suggestions from the
community, and the one that rose to the top was a Meerkat. The Meerkat
takes security and vigilance as a life or death responsibility. There is
always at least one individual on guard, watching, ready to alert the
entire organization. Very much like an IDS sensor. It is always
watching, always ready to alert you to danger. Or something like that...

The logo we've chosen for the OISF engine reflects that vigilance. The
name Suricata comes from the Latin genus name for the meerkat.

Watch for this logo to be on your next IDS appliance!

Matthew Jonkman
Emerging Threats
Phone 765-429-0398
Fax 312-264-0205