[Oisf-announce] Board Meeting Notes

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Mon Jun 15 14:20:52 UTC 2009

The Open Information Security Foundation held it's first Board Meeting
and Planning Session. The meeting was incredibly productive, and we were
able to secure the support of a number of new organizations and vendors.
We're very excited about the future, and we've a lot of news to share.

Most of the news and decisions that have been made we'll release in
individual statements in order to avoid information overload. But
overall let me summarize what the Foundation is doing and where we all
stand:

We have received allocation of the second phase funding, and we're part
of the OSSI HOST program (http://www.oss-institute.org). This allows us
to begin immediately our coding efforts. We have finalized hiring of
about ten contractors for everything from coding and research to quality
assurance and sysadmin work.

These individuals will be introduced to the community soon, but you know
most of them already. I'm VERY excited about the team that's coming
together. That said we have room for more. Primarily we need more
programmers, but we are also in search of an exceptional individual to
become our documentation project lead. If you are interested please
email jonkman at emergingthreats.net.

We are in the process of building out our infrastructure. Code
repository, QA lab and hardware, and public facing hosting and the like.
We are in need of all sorts of assistance, the less we spend on hardware
and infrastructure the more goes into coding efforts of course. If you
or your organization is interested in becoming a member of the
Foundation Consortium (which grants the ability to use an alternative
more permissive license) please contact us now. We have quite a few
needs that will save the foundation's resources for more directly
beneficial effort.

We'll be announcing a number of other things shortly, including a new
draft of our bylaws, new mailing lists, and a list of the features we're
going to build into our first release. Please stay tuned.

While we're getting to coding later than we had hoped last year, rest
assured we are still committed to a production release of the engine by
the end of 2009! We will make this goal and we have the resources and
brain trust to make it happen!!

Thanks to all for your support to date. This is truly a community driven
and supported project, and we look forward to cementing the
relationships with both the community and the organizations that will be
our constituency over time.

Matthew Jonkman
Emerging Threats
Phone 765-429-0398