[Oisf-devel] Some questions about module development

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Fri Feb 1 14:16:45 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 03:07 PM, Jörg Vehlow wrote:
> One more time i've got some questions:
>
> I am trying to figure out how exactly reassembly works in suricata. My
> goal is to devide the stream into messages: Message boundaries are
> defined by a change in stream direction, timeout or end of stream.
>
> As far as I've seen, the reassembly is done just to enable the AppLayer
> Parsers. A possible hook point for my implementation would be
> AppLayerHandleTCPData or an AppLayer module.

It's used for raw stream matching as well.

> The problem I'm seeing there is, that reassembly is stoped by some other
> applayer modules, e.g. http when a bad header is received. Do you think
> there is any other way to do this? Or do I just have to ensure (by
> always clearing the flag) that reassembly is never stoped.
>
> The data send to AppLayerHandleTCPData also seems to be affected by the
> applayer modules. Do the modules tell suricata what part of the payload
> they have parsed already? E.g. if i sent "GET / HTTP/1.0" and in another
> packet "Host: example.com", both packets are send individual. Some other
> packets are send together. (like "abc" and "def" will send "abc" and
> "abcdef" to AppLayerHandleTCPData.

What you're describing is due to the integration with protocol
detection. While the protocol isn't detected yet, we send the same data
+ new data to the protocol detection code. Once the protocol is
detected, the app layer module gets data in in-order chunks, without
duplication or anything.

> I think what I really need is reassembly and AppLayerHandling split up.
> They seem to be very tightly integrated at the moment...

Maybe you can explain in some more detail what you are trying to do?

Cheers,
Victor