[Oisf-devel] Some questions about module development

Jörg Vehlow suricata at jv-coder.de
Fri Feb 1 14:30:00 UTC 2013

What I'm trying to do is to devide the stream into messages. A message
is a continous part of the stream (stream means bidrectional stream
here) in one direction.
For an HTTP session with one request there will be two messages, the
request and the response.
If there is another request in the http session it will have four
messages. (Request, response, request, response)
The order in which the messages appear is important. Together with the
payloadof a message, the time of the first frame and direction should be
saved.

Something like:
struct Message {
    char* data;
    uint length;
    int direction;

    Message * next;
}

The benefit of this representation of the stream is that you can do
statistical matches on the length of the individual messages or the time
between two messsages. I hope to be able to detect some malware c'n'c
traffic with this. Often you have limited message lengths or somewhat
fixed intervals between messages.

The rules to devide a bidirectional tcp stream into messages are as follows:
 - begin of stream -> create new message
 - change of transmission direction -> create new message
 - timeout after last received packet (say if no packet receives within
2 seconds) -> create new message

The only thing I need at the moment is the pakets of a tcp stream in the
correct order. This essentially what the reassembler should to I think...