[Oisf-users] Suricata on OpenBSD

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Thu Jun 17 02:01:51 UTC 2010

On 06/16/2010 03:54 PM, Will Metcalf wrote:
> Anybody know if OpenBSD does threading in userland?  Wasn't it
 > this way at one point,  I can't remember...

Based on the current man page for ptheads (linked below) it is in userland.
There has been some work on a project called rthreads which I think is
intended to get kernel space threads implemented but the OpenBSD kernel still
has a big lock in the kernel which limits performance gain.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=pthreads&sektion=3&apropos=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386

Below are some links on the issue: One to a presentation from last year and
paper from 5 years ago off the OpenBSD site.

http://www.dcbsdcon.org/speakers/slides/unangst_dcbsdcon2009.pdf

http://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsd2005/tedu-rthreads.pdf

(Josh Hoppes is to be credited with pulling out these tidbits - thanks, Josh.)

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\