[Oisf-users] distance, uricontent

Will Metcalf william.metcalf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 15:20:51 UTC 2010

IMHO the implementation in snort is broken. From what I have seen
distance always starts at the beginning of the normalized buffer
rather than from the end of the last uricontent match.  I don't think
this is right....

We should do one of the following...

1. Reject the rule because in snort it really doesn't work.
2. Accept the rule and setup distance and within to work against the
normalized buffer(my vote).
3. Accept the rule and ignore distance as in snort it really doesn't work.

Things get weirder when you start to mix and match uricontent,content
and within/distance. but we will save that for later.

What does the community think?

Regards,

Will

#test 32 uricontent with distance modifier
#This is broken the sig still fires using two uricontent matches
distance always starts at the beginning of normalized buffer
#
#file allworkandnoplayplain.pcap and allworkandnoplayencoded.pcap
#alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"uricontent match against
/AllWorkAndNoPlayMakesWillADullBoy with distance";
uricontent:"/AllWorkAndNoPlay"; uricontent:"MakesWillADullBoy";
distance:17; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:32; rev:1;)