[Oisf-users] [Emerging-Sigs] OT - planning hardware purchase for IDS...

Anoop Saldanha poonaatsoc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 06:32:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Will Metcalf <william.metcalf at gmail.com>wrote:

> > We are about to put in cap-ex request for 4 new boxes for monitoring
> stations -- we will be testing out suricata and will get at least one with a
> GPU.   At the moment we are looking at quad core boxes (DELL or IBM 1U) with
> at least 4GB memory. > We intend to run argus and and IDS ;)   ( boxes will
> run some flavour of linux..)
> If you can afford it, get Xeon 55xx series chips.  Nehalem is freaking
> sweet.  This isn't your p4 era hyper-threading you can almost treat
> the HT like another core.
>
> > Anything we should be aware of (like how much memory on GPU ?).
> Can't help you there, Anoop? GNORT guy's? any advice on the GPU stuff?

i think gpus come with 2GB now.  1GB should be good enough though.  It would
be nice to go for a dual GPU graphics card, since we'll be looking at
supporting load balancing on multi-cuda-devices at some point in the
future.  I think something like a gtx 295.  You can look at a couple of
other such versions in the market.

Anoop Saldanha