[Oisf-users] memcap_drop in stats.log

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Tue Aug 23 15:27:43 UTC 2011

On 08/01/2011 10:59 PM, Gene Albin wrote:
> So it looks like increasing the stream and flow memcap variables to 1 and 2
> GB seems to have fixed the segment_memcap_drop numbers:
>
> tcp.sessions              | Decode & Stream           | 62179
> tcp.ssn_memcap_drop       | Decode & Stream           | 0
> tcp.pseudo                | Decode & Stream           | 10873
> tcp.segment_memcap_drop   | Decode & Stream           | 0
> tcp.stream_depth_reached  | Decode & Stream           | 347
> detect.alert              | Detect                    | 715
>
> But according to (ReceivePcapThreadExitStats) I'm still losing about 20% of
> my packets.  Any ideas on why this may be?  Below is a cut from the
> suricata.log file showing the packet drops after I increased the memcap
> values.

The packet drop stats from pcap and the memcap drop stats are unrelated.

The memcap drop stats represent segments / sessions that are not
processed by the stream engine because it's memory limit is reached.
Packets are still inspected individually but stream / app layer
inspection will be impaired.

Cheers,
Victor