[Oisf-users] Fast replay of pcap files

Dave Remien dave.remien at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 01:50:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Gene Albin <gene.albin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I'm experimenting with replaying various pcap files in Suricata.  It
> appears that the pcap files are replaying at the same speed they were
> recorded.  I'd like to be able to replay them faster so that 1) I can stress
> the detection engine, and 2) expedite post-event analysis.
>
>   One way to accomplish this is by using tcpreplay -t, but when running on
> the same machine that takes lots of cycles away from Suricata and sends the
> recorded pcap traffic onto an interface that already has live traffic.
>
>   Is there some other way to replay captured traffic through Suricata at an
> accelerated speed?

Hmm - I've done pretty extensive replay of pcaps with Suricata. I have a
750GB pcap that was recorded over a 9 hour time range, and takes about 3.5
hours to be replayed through Suricata. The alerts generated show the pcap
time (i.e., over the 9 hour range).  The machine replaying the pcap is a 16
core box with a RAID array.

Is it possible that you're I/O limited?

So... I guess I'd ask about your configuration - # of CPUs, disk speeds,
proc types, rule set, suricata.yaml?

Cheers,

Dave

> --
> Gene Albin
> gene.albin at gmail.com
> gene_albin at bigfoot.com

"Of course, someone who knows more about this will correct me if I'm
wrong, and someone who knows less will correct me if I'm right."
David Palmer (palmer at tybalt.caltech.edu)