[Oisf-users] Suricata and Snort performance paper

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Wed Jul 27 05:28:37 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 04:09 AM, Gene Albin wrote:
> All,
>   I just ran across this conference paper from the University of Derby in
> the UK comparing the performance of Snort and Suricata.  I think it's a
> great paper and was wondering if anyone else has seen it yet.
>
> http://www.thinkmind.org/index.php?view=article&articleid=icds_2011_7_40_90007

I hadn't yet, thanks Gene.

I've only glanced over it quickly, will look closer later. The tested
Suricata version is 1.0.2. Most, if not all, of last years performance
increase work has gone into the 1.1.x branch. With increased accuracy,
performance has also much improved. Pretty much doubled in many work loads.

See for example Eric's post:
http://home.regit.org/2011/06/about-suricata-performance-boost-between-1-0-and-1-1beta2/

Cheers,
Victor