[Oisf-users] Packets stucked in Nfqueue when running inline

Fernando Ortiz fernando.ortiz.f at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 00:36:58 UTC 2011

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

I compiled the last revision from git. The same problem. I followed your
steps:

>>    * Flush iptables rules (to block the packet counter in /proc)
>>    * Wait a few seconds for delivery of all packets

ips2 ~]# cat /proc/net/netfilter/nfnetlink_queue
    1    640     8 2 65535     0     0        166919  1
    2  -4290     9 2 65535     0     0        166920  1

>> * Get the number of packets queued from /proc (equal to last
       number before 1 in the proc file)

(RecvNFQ-Q1) Pkts 166919, Bytes 107024647, Errors 0
(RecvNFQ-Q2) Pkts 166920, Bytes 106693226, Errors 0

>>     * Stop suricata
>>    * Retrieve NFQ packets statistics in the log output (Pkts accepted
>>     %"PRIu32", dropped %"PRIu32", replaced %"PRIu32)

Q1->  Pkts accepted 166705, dropped 206, replaced 0
Q2->  Pkts accepted 166692, dropped 219, replaced 0

So, in Q1 166705 + 206 = 166911  = 166919 - 8
Same in Q2   166692 + 219 = 266911 = 166920 - 9

You are right, these 17 packets are not seen by suricata, therefore, no one
make a verdict and they are stucked in the queues waiting for one.

I am not sure where to begin looking for this issue.

Another question, is it normal those 425 dropped packets? Right now Suricata
is receiving 10Mbps in average, I think less. But in the future they want me
to install one that support more than 700 Mbps. But I am a little worry
about those dropped packets and of course, the "stucked" ones.

Regards