[Oisf-users] where are my missing packets ?

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 23:52:37 UTC 2012

Your machine sounds powerful enough. What size ruleset are you using?
Which runmode? I'd certainly look at using autofp for pcap (not that I
use it - I'm using PF_RING).

You might get some benefit in PF_RING even with non-PF_RING ethernet
drivers. The PF_RING developers haven't got any Broadcom cards to test
alas, so they've not been maintaining the PF_RING drivers. Which chipset
do you have? I've actually got some "bnx2" cards in my boxes, but I'm
not using them for capture. Another option might be to get an Intel card
for capturing; the e1000e 1GB ones are very cheap.

I'm running roughly 4K rules on a machine with two quad-core processors,
16GB RAM, e1000e card and PF_RING with runmode=workers. One of the
Broadcom interfaces is used for management so I don't cut the branch I'm
sitting on when I use PF_RING in non-transparent mode!

Best Wishes,
Chris