[Oisf-users] Latest Suricata deb packages (stable & beta) available for Ubuntu on Ubuntu PPA

Doug Burks doug.burks at gmail.com
Tue May 29 10:21:47 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

Great work!

As a suggested addition to #2, you might want to mention that
checkinstall and fpm are both great for building packages (both deb
and rpm) with a minimal degree of effort:
http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm

Also, there's a new feature request for fpm to make it support Launchpad PPAs:
https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm/issues/170

Thanks,
Doug

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Peter Manev <petermanev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This was long overdue.....
>

> 1.
> We have the latest Suricata stable and beta packages available for Ubuntu on
> Ubuntu PPA (launchpad).
>
> Quantal  Lucid  Natty Oneiric  Precise - 32 and 64 bit packages available
>
> All you have to do is :
>>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oisf/suricata-beta
>
> OR
>>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oisf/suricata-stable
>

> then a mandatory !!!
>>
>> apt-get update
>

> and you can install/remove/upgrade the latest stable Suricata (at the moment
> 1.2.1 ) with the default
>>
>> apt-get install suricata
>>
>> apt-get update / apt-get remove suricata ......
>
> will update it to current stable release (at the moment 1.2.1 ).
>
> The latest stable pkg will be available as soon as released, from now on!
>
> 2.
>
> We also have added a wiki page of how to Build your own Suricata package :
> https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/projects/suricata/wiki/Build_your_own_Suricata_package
>
> a step by step guide and a script (just run it and it will build a deb pkg)
> for Ubuntu pkgs.
>
> Please review/test/criticise/suggest.
>
> Thank you
>

> --
> Regards,
> Peter Manev

Doug Burks | http://securityonion.blogspot.com
Don't miss SANS SEC503 Intrusion Detection In-Depth in
Augusta GA 6/11 - 6/16 | 10% discount for ISSA Members!
http://augusta.issa.org/drupal/SANS-Augusta-2012