[Oisf-users] On the fly MD5 calculation without file store

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Tue May 29 13:52:21 UTC 2012

On 05/26/2012 02:15 AM, Seth Hall wrote:

> On May 25, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Victor Julien wrote:
>
>> Don't worry about it. I don't expect everyone to follow everything all
>> the time (with exception of a fellow named Seth H of course).
>

> Hah!  So that I'm not just adding adding noise to your mailing list, I'll ask a question too. :)
>
> Do you have any measurements that show how much of a performance impact enabling MD5 calculation adds?  It's a global setting too, right (all on or all off)?

Yeah, it's global currently.

Small benchmark on a 4core Xeon on a 416MB pcap. Debug and unittests and
all kinds of other crap still compiled in. Streaqm depth and http body
tracking but unlimited.

files log enabled, md5 forced: 6.8 sec.
files log enabled, md5 disabled: 6.8 sec

files log enabled, md5 not compiled in: 6.6 sec

Log contains 11088 file records.