[Oisf-users] Suricata 1.4 simple alert rule, first visit to website not triggering an alert

Vincent Fang vincent.y.fang at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 19:47:14 UTC 2013

Thank you all for the quick responses. Trying out the different ways of the
rules and using different browsers, the results were inconsistent for me to
rely on the simple test rule I was trying to use to make Suricata see if it
could detect a prohibited site. As Anoop suggested and doing the tests
again today, the nslookup for www.businessweek.com changed too many times
for me to make any consistent results.

alert http any any -> ipaddress any (msg: "visiting";)

My new question for you all then, in order to make a simple alert test, how
should I craft the alert rule to detect if something within my network is
trying to visit a prohibited site? Would I need to use the rule options
where it looks  at the content? Is specifying an ip address in the rule not
something I should rely on? Is there a website reference you guys use to
know how to create good rules?