[Oisf-users] Alerts' suppression

Kirill Sluchanko KSluchanko at polikom.ru
Wed Jul 17 12:28:43 UTC 2013

OK, let's start from the other end.

My task is to remove alerts for some rule from unified2.alerts as these
alerts uselessly poisoning Snorby's database.

As I got no replies on previous message I've tried to experiment with
threshold settings. First of all I've enabled drop.log (as, for some
reasons, it is the only way I can use to find if the packets are
dropped).

Then I've enabled threshold file in suricata.yaml and create
threshold.config with following content:

  suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 2200075

Restart Suricata - and first try failed. Too few records in drop.log. I
think it means that packets matching the rule is not dropped - and when
I have commented the string above and restarted Suricata, drop.log shows
that packets of interest are dropping.

Well, let's try another way - I have changed content of threshold.conf
to following string:

  threshold gen_id 1, sig_id 2200075, type threshold, track by_src,
count 1000,  seconds 1000

Restart Suricata - still no luck; drop.log shows that nothing is
dropped. Comment the string and restart Suricata - drop.log shows that
packets are dropping.

The question is - what's wrong with my approach? Or maybe it is
something wrong with Suricata? For example, I suspect that 'suppress' or
'threshold' usage can influence dropped packets logging.

--
С уважением,                                                       Best regards,
Кирилл Случанко                                                 Kirill Sluchanko

ЗАО «Поликом Про»                                                Polikom Pro JSC
Системный интегратор                                          Systems Integrator
195197, Россия, Санкт-Петербург                    195197 Russia, St. Petersburg
пр. Полюстровский, дом 59, литер Э            59 liter E Poliustrovskiy prospekt
тел.: +7 (812) 325 84 00                               phone: +7 (812) 325 84 00
факс: +7 (812) 320 56 86                                 fax: +7 (812) 320 56 86
www.polikom.ru info at polikom.ru                    www.polikom.ru info at polikom.ru