[Oisf-users] Unified2 file not growing

Victor Julien lists at inliniac.net
Wed Oct 30 13:53:09 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 02:42 PM, Doisneau, Olivier wrote:
> I was told that this was actually normal.  That the unified2 alert log
> will only write if there is an actual alert vs stats.log and fast.log
> that write continuously.  The thing that threw me off is that it wrote a
> lot of data at startup and then stopped. So I guess my question is now
> to understand if it is normal for unified2 logs to be smaller than
> fast.log as it does more filtering before writing.  If that is true then
> I am all set.

Could it be that the alerts you get right after start up are about bad
checksums, or maybe "stream" alerts?

Your output shows:
28/10/2013 -- 18:53:10 - <Info> - More than 1/10th of packets have an
invalid checksum, assuming checksum offloading is used (401/1000)

which indicates that the checksum checks are automatically disabled
after some time. Before that, the engine did consider the checksums,
possibly leading to checksum/stream alerts if you had those rules enabled.

Cheers,
Victor