[Oisf-users] Build error

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 25 19:03:22 UTC 2014

I've had that problem for over a year on my hardened gentoo sensor, I
think its due to gentoo setting the _FORTIFY_SOURCE flag by default and
it gets set again during the suri build process.

I've fixed it by adding this bit to my build script:

> find libhtp/ -name Makefile -exec sed -i -e 's/-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2//' {} \;
>
> sed -i -e 's/\, _FORTIFY_SOURCE/\, 2/' src/suricata.c

There actually seem to be a couple problems like this with libhtp/suri,
in that the build process doesn't check/honor local environmental
variables.  For example, despite setting my CFLAGS to include '-O3' I
still see the '-O2' flag (twice!) during the build process.  In this
case it doesn't matter as the '-O3' directive makes it redundant.

Anyways I always felt this was kinda a hacky fix for this problem so I
looked up a better one; this seems to work on my system (when added to
the top of my build script):

> export CPPFLAGS="-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE"

This tells the C pre-processor to unset that variable before setting the
one defined in the oisf makefiles.

- -Coop