[Oisf-users] suricata at 40Gb

Brandon Lattin latt0050 at umn.edu
Thu Feb 5 20:30:24 UTC 2015

We are currently running a cluster of six Suricata (IDS mode) boxes fed
from a pair of Arista 7150. Each Arista is fed by a regeneration tap (which
also feeds a Cisco NGA netflow appliance). We have two active borders. Each
has 10GB up and 10GB down, for an effective 40GB max (though we're not
saturating the links). Not quite what you're architecting from the sounds
of it, but not too far off.

Three of the sensor boxes are production and each has a redundant pair, in
case we loose power at an edge node. Fiber crossovers from each data center
ensure each Arista 7150 aggregates a full set of traffic from both borders.

Each server (Dell R620) has 2x 10 physical core Xeons at 3.0GHz, 128GB of
RAM, has has 1x Myricom 10G-PCIE2-8C2-2S NIC with the Sniffer10G firmware.
Each server runs a single 32 thread Suricata instance (maxium number of
ring buffers per Myricom port). We currently see around 250-500MBps on each
port and run around 15,000 Emerging Threats Pro rules.

We use EVE JSON output with the printable_packet option. Logs are ingested
by a Splunk Universal Forwarder agent on each box which feeds our Splunk
indexer where analysis takes place. We see around a million events per day,
which ends up being about 1-2GB of Splunk indexing volume per day.

Additionally, we feed 3x Dell R620 running Bro (in testing), and we have a
spare R620 for staging/testing.

Things just went into production, so I'm still working out a few kinks.

Hope this helps.

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Peter Manev <petermanev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Douglas,
>
> I have not - but I am willing to help you out in that every step of
> the way -  should you consider the offer.
>
> There would be a lot of considerations that will need to be taken into
> account prior getting the HW (i suspect)
>
> An initial question if I may:
> You mention IDS/IPS - is one or the other or is it both ?
>
> Thank you
>

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Duckworth, Douglas C <duckd at tulane.edu>
> wrote:

> Regards,
> Peter Manev

Brandon Lattin
Security Analyst
University of Minnesota - University Information Security
Office: 612-626-6672