[Oisf-users] Updated to 2.0.6 and experiencing event logging slow down

Gary Faulkner gfaulkner.nsm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 22:25:17 UTC 2015

I've been experimenting with your suggestions, but I think the culprit
may have been having an MTU of 9000 on the NIC and not setting
default-packet-size to match in suricata.yaml. Jumbo frames are enabled
for at least some of the links we have tapped. I tried setting
default-packet-size to 9000 and saw improved processing, but high loss,
so after some additional reading suggesting that it might be better to
set use a lower MTU and discard jumbo frames (or at least let them
fragment) I simply went back to the default MTU size on both the NICs
ans in suricata.yaml. I need to let it run some more to collect stats,
but I think I'm closer now with the below settings:

dns parser disabled for udp and tcp (disabling this didn't seem to
change the behavior I was seeing, but I hadn't enabled dns.log as I have
dns logging going on elsewhere so I didn't it turn it back on)

vlan.use-for-tracking set back to true (after trying no and seeing no
change in behavior and the config file comments suggesting it should be
on unless causing trouble)

flow-timeouts:

   default:
     new: 3
     established: 30
     closed: 0
     emergency-new: 10
     emergency-established: 10
     emergency-closed: 0
   tcp:
     new: 6
     established: 100
     closed: 12
     emergency-new: 1
     emergency-established: 5
     emergency-closed: 2
   udp:
     new: 3
     established: 30
     emergency-new: 3
     emergency-established: 10
   icmp:
     new: 3
     established: 30
     emergency-new: 1
     emergency-established: 10

My original stats.log file had grown quite large, so I rotated it out
and am currently collecting fresh stats with the current settings. I did
notice that there seemed to be a cosmetic bug in how dna interfaces are
displayed in stats.log as in dna0 at 1 would display as dna0 at 11, dna0 at 2
would display as dna0 at 21 and so on. I can provide a stats.log once I
have fresh stats.

Thanks for the help!